I have been searching for the perfect hair dryer to recommend for our delicate silver hair since 2017.
I have six main criteria for a perfect dryer:
- Proper attachments for curly or straight hair.
- Good temperature controls with max temp of 250°F to be safer for gray hair.
- Gentle blower settings, that reduce mechanical damage.
- Bonus points if it was lightweight.
Disclosure: There are affiliate links* in this post. Read my Terms and Conditions Page to learn more.
Click any product name I mention and the link will take you to the product page for purchase.
At this point, I have tested out several heat tools some I haven’t even bothered to tell you about as they weren’t anything noteworthy.
Many of you have emailed me and messaged me about this dryer. So I decided to get it and give it a good honest review. In this post, I am sharing all the specs, the pros and cons, and if it gets my stamp of approval for silver-hair safe.
You can also see my review here on YouTube, and check out the dryer sound and settings.
Let’s take a look at the Laifen Swift Dryer:
I purchased the Laifen Swift dryer with the smooth nozzle and I ordered the diffuser separately, at the time they didn’t have the dryer I wanted with the diffuser. I don’t recommend doing this as the diffuser shipped separately from China and arrived a couple of weeks after the dryer.
It is pronounced Ly-Fin, if you were curious.
I paid $169.00 for everything with a coupon and it was on sale.
Speed and Heat Settings for the Laifen Swift
- 2 speeds, medium and high
- 4 heat settings:
- Low which is room temperature
- Medium they say 120°F on the site but with my infrared thermometer top reading was 168°F
- High they say it gets to 176°F my reading topped out at 250°F
- Auto-cycle vacillates between room temperature, medium, and high (ish)
Laifen Swift Tech Specs:
- 5’ 9” long cord
- Weighs less than one pound
- Brushless motor like the Dyson
- Very quiet 59 decibels on full speed (according to Laifen)
- It has noise reduction tech but high speed for quicker dry time
- 3 Magnetic attachments (depending on which set you buy)
- Temperature monitoring 100 times per second
- Negative Ion technology boosts the shine, smoothness, and overall health of your hair to reduce frizz and dryness
- Ultra-fast dry times (great for silver hair the less time you spend with heat the better)
The Laifen Diffuser Attachment:
The inside has a metal plate that helps diffuse the warmth and the air flow evenly, which I think works very well.
I am not usually a fan of this type of diffuser as it is normally designed for hover diffusing. I am quickly figuring it out though, and now that I have diffused with a diffuser with this inner metal plate I can see the advantages.
The Black Orchid Diffuser
- The Black Orchid can be fit to the smoothing nozzle with a Snozzle Pro, but it does tend to fall off once it heats up.
- Also the Black Orchid is hollow which makes me think it doesn’t help any with dry time.
I missed the bowl so much though I decided to try drying my hair with the hammock diffusing technique created by Wavy Curly Ali.
This morphed into something else, plopping into a large bowl and aiming the dryer into the bowl. I used the stand to hold the dryer to make it easier.
I go over more of this in the video.
Laifen Swift Cons:
- Short cord
- Laifen if you are reading this it is just too short.
- Nice for travel, but not great for tall people or stylists.
- No low speed.
- No cool shot button but low is room temperature.
- And the diffuser…I’d love the same tech with a bowl style diffuser like the Black Orchid.
Laifen Swift Pros:
- I like the magnetic attachments.
- The air filter doesn’t grab hair.
- The coolest feature and where I fell in love is the vacillating heat setting…I dry my hair with cool shot and low-med heat, so this is perfect I just turn it on and forget the settings.
- Dry time is great at around 15 minutes, compared to my normal 20 to 30 minutes of diffusing.
- Small and lightweight: Weighs less than a pound, great for those of us with issues in our wrists, hands, and shoulders.
The price is great too!
- Lower than the Dyson which runs between $400 and $500
- Slightly less than the Shark at $179 depending on which set you get.
Overall I think it is safer for silver hair. (Check out the review on Shark tools in my 2021-2022 heat tools post.)
So does it get my Silver-Safe stamp of approval???
Yes, it does!!! Absolutely!!
- Well-made = 5 STARS
- Proper attachments for curly or straight hair = 4 STARS, the diffuser could be larger and more bowl like.
- Good temperature controls = 4 STARS, a cool shot button would still be nice.
- Gentle blower settings = 5 STARS
- Affordable = 4 STARS, it isn’t the least expensive but moderately priced especially for the tech.
- Bonus points if it was lightweight = 5 STARS
I hope you found this post educational and helpful.
Thank you for reading. Please feel free to share.
As always it is about so much more than the hair.
QuickSilverHair is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. Some of the links on this site are affiliate links to Amazon.com. I earn money as an Amazon Associate from qualifying purchases.
QuickSilverHair is an affiliate with the following brands, I earn a small percentage from any qualifying purchases, at no additional cost to you.
© Copyright disclaimer: All content is written by Joli A. Campbell or Guests, that content belongs to QuickSilverHair or the respected author. All Images in this blog belong to the women in the picture, myself, or were used with purchase or commercial permissions. I have used their images and names with their permission. Please do not copy or redistribute anything from this site without further permission. Thank you.
QuickSilverHair.com content disclaimer: content is provided for general information purposes and should not be considered medical advice. Product information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. The hair care content is also for educational use, I am not a hair care professional or dermatologist, please be careful with your hair and skin. If you have any hesitations or concerns speak to your doctor or hair care professional for their support before using any information you find on this site. Be well.
For full Affiliate and Copyright Details Please Read My Terms & Conditions Page